Black Bean Enchiladas
2 packages Frontera Red Chile Enchilada Sauce*
10 corn tortillas
2 cans black beans, rinsed & drained
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp chili powder
1 cup onion, diced
1. Combine black beans, onion and spices.
2. Fill tortillas with mixture, roll, and place in a square casserolepan.**
**You MUST heat the tortillas before filling, or they will break apart! (They may break apart anyway, but do your best. This part is an art! Don’t stress if they’re not perfect!) You can heat them 2-3 at a time in the microwave, or one at a time by dipping them in a frying pan filled with a little hot water on the stove, using tongs. Experiment. Casserole version is below! No rolling needed!)
3. Cover with enchilada sauce
4. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 min.
5. Serve over a bed of lettuce.
TIP: If you make these ahead of time and keep them in the fridge until you’re ready to cook, the flavor is even better! You may have to heat for a bit longer than 30 min., though, due to the colder starting temp.!
*If you’re trying to minimize oil, this is the only Enchilada sauce I have found that does not have oil in it! Feel free to use any kind you like.
FOR ENCHILADA CASSEROLE:
1. Combine black beans, onion & seasonings in bowl.
2. Stir one pkg. of enchilada sauce into bean mixture. Mix well.
3. Spread ½ of the mixture evenly in the bottom of a square casserole pan.
4. Layer 6 corn tortillas on top of bean mixture, cutting tortillas to cover completely.
5. Spread a little less than ½ pkg of enchilada sauce on top of tortillas.
6. Spread the remaining filling evenly on top.
7. Layer 6 corn tortillas on top of bean mixture, cutting tortillas to cover completely.
8. Cover with remaining sauce.
9. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 min.
10. Serve over a bed of lettuce.